No photos for this post. Strictly mental ruminations.It was October, 2005, just 15-16 months ago that we (Bill, that is) started this blog to help us all stay in touch with Bert who was on the verge of going overseas at that time. As I look over the 254 postings since that first one (of a picture of Bill and Kayla), I think about everything that has happened over that time - much of it recorded on the blog and some of it not. As I ruminate on that, I realize a few important things. 1. Time flies. 2. Great things happen - new lives are created, people grow and change (regardless of how old they are). 3. Love endures and is the ultimate tie that binds. 4. Life is what it is and I'm damn glad of it. 5. Horses, despite being big sweaty beasts, are superlative beings. AND 6. We think some things are just not 'special' enough to post on a blog but they are special in their own way and we should appreciate them nonetheless. Life is full of the everyday things that don't deserve a blog post. But even those things are good because they are part of it all. Life has so many special moments that we don't commemorate for a myriad of reasons. But we should!
Enough of that rambling.
Bert, you deserve the biggest commendation for your insightful, humorous, and poignant posts. What I relish most is that you've retained your sense of humor without becoming totally cynical. The peephole on Army life that you provided us over the past year allowed us to see just a little of your complex and dangerous life. It has been entertaining, at times breathtaking, and very moving, to say the least.
Rachel, you've been so important to this whole family. Despite your reticence to post on the blog :) , we've felt your presence. You have had such strength and faith in Bert while he was gone and we know it wasn't easy being without him for so long. Now you have this new, wonderful role as mom-to-be. What fun! I, for one, can't wait for the new person!
Thank you, both! And thank ***[bleep], Bert, that you're home safe and sound!
Call me when you come up for air!
Love, Mom

No comments:
Post a Comment