I am very tired. Not really anything new, but I thought I would cry on your collective shoulders. We work typically just under 14 hrs each day and we get a what they are calling a "day off". This so called "day off" is actually just 24 hrs when we reverse out our schedule from days to nights or vice-versa. The end result is you are more tired after your day off and just when you are getting over the shift change, its time to change again. ugh.
I feel like a zombie looks. I wander around in a fog with the buzz of a redbull fighting the dull weight of my eyes. My iPod beeps me awake after too few hours. I navigate the gravel to the shower trailer just before the sun goes down. The cold nighttime becomes a companion of mine. It wraps me in annonemity as the other zombies can't recognize me in the dark and engage me in small talk about the Oakland Raiders. I listen to Garrison Keillor's monologues in my headphones and imagine that its maybe Clarence Bunson or Pastor Inkvist passing by me in the darkness. The night is so dark without the moon that I navigate by the feel of the gravel. There is a swath of larger rocks that leads away from my CHU. To the right is my company, to the left is the showers and latrines. When my footsteps find some smaller rocks and dirt I correct my heading back into the large gravel. I suppose that is how blind people feel walking around everywhere.
I have only flown once in the past month but I am scheduled to fly day for three weeks consecutively. Flying makes the time go by in a hurry. Every day that I fly is so busy that its over before I know it. I hate it and I love and couldn't care less about it all at the same time.
There is no purpose here. There isn't even a good rhythm to follow. There is no striving, no motivation. This is a place where spirits fade like all the cloth and paint until everything is just sand.

No comments:
Post a Comment