So I lost my headphones out of my pocket today. I was flying along with my head out the window like a Labrador retriever and my pocket flap opened in the wind. I lose a lot of stuff out the window. I lost about two thirds of a ham sandwich last week.
If there were a Disney ride where you could shoot a machine gun from a three thousand horsepower helicopter at 150 miles per hour people would pay hundreds or thousands to ride it. The Army can make even that suck sometimes.
I have had a string of long days. I am on the emergency response team for another few days. After a long day and a frantic flight chasing tragedies, I end up sitting on my bed exhausted, battered, bruised, achy, hypoglycemic, dehydrated, sunburned, windburned, ears ringing, eyes bloodshot, soaked in sweat, and shaky from the adrenaline.
I have had a good chance to get to know a few of the most elite American fighters. I think they all have a few things in common. They all know they do an important job that they can do and most others can't.
A long time ago I must have learned some lesson about getting up after proverbially getting knocked down. I think I've always thought that was about learning from your mistakes and moving on. There is something else about knowing you are going to get knocked down because you have done it a hundred times in a row. Knowing you are going to get knocked down again and again and still getting up is something different.
Instead of all that stuff, today I flew in perfect weather with great visibility and no urgency to get anywhere. It felt great.

1 comment:
Six thoughts in six paragraphs and you saved the best for last!
Glad you have some enjoyable moments. We all think of you often and wish you more of those few precious enjoyable moments!
hugs,Mom
Post a Comment