So I was just reading through a National Geographic book of portraits and the author was talking about 'photographic styles'.
A photo that is a moment captured as an image has no style whereas an image that was pre-conceptualized and carefully constructed in a controlled studio environment may have a style.
I think there are definitely photographers who have preferred or favored subject matters and their techniques may show similarities between shots and in that way, the photographer has a style.
I think when you look at a portrait, its almost like you are meeting the subject in a way. You are seeing the person how the camera saw them. You are seeing the personality that they wore on their face for that one fleeting moment. There is no applying a 'style' to a person, if the person is showing joy or terror, thats what you see.
I think we shouldn't think of photographs and photographers in terms of genres and categories but just image by image.

No comments:
Post a Comment