‎63 Years of Memories....

‎63 Years of Memories....
that's what I have now. The photo below shows the chair on the point which for so many years was my father's favorite after-supper place to contemplate and cast for walleye. As much as I feel guilty about what's happened, I know he would understand and even say there's nothing to forgive. He lived life fully and moved on many times. I'm the one with the unique experience of being attached to a beautiful place for my whole life. And despite all my best efforts, yesterday the 'cabin' was sold. I signed the papers and, truth be told, a weight was lifted. A new life lies ahead without the obligations, but with all of the wonderful memories. My unrelentingly positive attitude says this is truly how it is, but my heart is still sad.

There are some things in life for which the balance between the obligation and the joy of ownership often cannot be sustained forever. It became clear that I was no longer up to the task of taking care of the place quite a while back. However, knowing what needs to be done and doing it are often far apart. Finally, no choice was left. It had to be sold.

Now it's gone. No more worrying about how long the grass or how deep the snow is up there. No more sublimely pleasurable early morning cups of coffee sitting on the dock when the color of the lake is like pale blue glass and the air is completely still. No more endless repairs, high taxes, and utility bills. No more late nights around the fire pit with friends and family - warm from both fire and friendship. No more frozen pipes or emergency calls to the furnace guys. No more saunas and midnight skinny dipping that make you feel like you'll live forever while your connection with nature is confirmed by the gazillion stars of the milky way and the loons calling out in the dark. No more concerns with low well water levels or water so hard and full of iron the clothes turn yellow and your newly washed hair feels like brillo. No more finding the way home by boat in the dark after a long day on the lake feeling like this is the only place you really, really belong. No more praying that the boathouse will make it another year without collapsing. And ultimately, no more making new memories with friends, family and loved ones. No new memories, that is, at Half Bay, Lake Vermilion, Tower, MN. New life... here we come!

How do you thank a place for memories?

Saturday, July 08, 2006

LOVE to and for ALL

Sorry I have been scarce lately, it has been an unfortunate by-product of being WAY TOO BUSY!! I have been spending much more time driving, taking on some similarities of a door-to-door salesman. I load the trailer full of horses from different barns, and start making the rounds, to the same barns each week, just with different horses for different reasons and different buyers. It is so funny, if these people all got along and talked to each other, a Helluva lot more business would get done! In Europe and S. America all the trainers hang out at the same pub, and talk about who needs what over a brew, and everything is in the open, everyone knows who is buying and selling what, so if you have the right horse for a trainer, even if you don't personally like them, you will still connect to them and sell to them - more business gets done there in the pubs and parties then in the barns and at the shows!! Here, we are all secretive, and stuck in little cliques that never comingle or talk. So I am like a matchmaker. I take the horse of Don's (for instance) over to a little farm who "hates doing business with big dealers" and drop the horse off, so they can "try" it for several days, and feel really comfortable to write the check to "little me". The Dons don't have time for that shit, and the little guys are too intimidated to do it any other way! Then there is the "equals", decent trainers, on the same basic level, that are competing with each other so viciously, that they would rather NOT get something sold, than they would pick up the phone and chat with each other a few minutes a week! Thankfully, these people all have problems I can solve by being willing to spend the time, make the calls, drive the miles, and bridge the gaps between all these people. Kind of weird, yet kind of cool? I have recently decided that I am going to focus the majority of my energy and time into sales, and streamline my customers into lessons a few days a week, and if they want to join me at shows, great. I recently had a student (lazy, overweight, over-spoiled) who moved into my barn a few months ago on a recommendation from a good nearby trainer. This girl had no inclination to work at this sport, just thought it should be handed to her. When I would say "shorten your reins" for the 6th time, she would slump her shoulders and finally jerk the horses mouth and shorten them drastically to make some obnoxious point/stab at me. In her last lesson, I told her that me telling her to do something 10 times with no response was just wasting my time, and her parents money, and either she was going to put in at LEAST as much effort as I do, or she was going to go NOWHERE with her riding. I though that might jar her into a burst of motivation, instead I got a phone call from the parents who then asked me (this is the first time in my career that this has happened) if I wouldn't consider "Changing my teaching style somewhat, and relaxing my methods." They said I was "far too advanced, drowning my students with to much information that was at too technical a level" and in general said that I "simply demand too much". My answer, while slightly delayed until the shock wore off, was "No." I told them that I know a number of very nice trainers in the area who will take their money and will not expect any improvement or progress for years, and that their teaching styles and methods are more like a "teach-yourself-beginner-Spanish" cd, which their daughter could easily buy and throw in the door pocket to collect dust and therefore she would not be DEMANDED UPON ANY LONGER! I also asked them if they would like me to arrange shipping or if they would be handling it. I don't know if it is my age, or what, but I am getting tired of wasting my breath on people who are ignorant and not really "with the program." I finally feel I understand what my friend Guy Rodas' philosophy is on training "This is not a fucking Democracy, I am the King." I almost lost another client this week, but they instead decided to shut there mouths, and the girl has been a totally different student, who actually WANTS to learn, and the Mom brought me a fruit basket for telling her how it was going to be. Whatever is what I say now, if they want to hang on for the ride as I climb to the top, they better be loyal and hardworking, otherwise they better pay their bill up(which is now subject to change for any reason I feel like), and head to the Ranch for Weekend Warriors. I know this sounds like bad business, but I feel it is the smartest thing to do. Not only does it free up more time for me to focus on sales, (and weed out the "disloyals")the top horses of Kerens like Redmond, but also for the students who REALLY want to learn everything I have to teach them, and they have a sense of pride in knowing they are one of the FEW students I will ACCEPT, as I gather steam in my personal career... These few girls, Jordan, Kate, Ashley, Jenny, Gabrielle, are so rewarding to teach, that I can pour my heart and sweat into their lessons, and feel that they put into it as much as I do. It is never a good feeling to be a coach who wants it for the student more than the student wants it for themself... Okay, I have rambled about my job enough, but alas, at least I love it with a passion.

Love to and for ALL, Britta

2 comments:

Bert said...

I for one am glad for the change and proud of you for it.

Piz said...

Britta,
I for two am glad! You deserve every smile.
As for your business decisions, you are definately on the right track. If they don't want it as much as you, fugeddaboudit! Put your efforts into those who appreciate it.
Can't wait to see you - hopefully sometime soon!
Love, Mom
PS Bill says "I for three am glad!"