As for the other mess...
As long as the living room floor was torn up (see May posting), I thought I'd tear up some more. Unfortunately, under the dining room carpet was the old kitchen linoleum. Only the top part of each tile came off easily, so I have yet another mess to take care of getting rid of the tar paper type backing. The original kitchen, as you can see, was about 5' x 8'. The doorway to the right was the door to the outside. The doorway to the left went to the main room of the cabin which originally had a small cast iron stove at the far end. The small metal patch on the left side of the kitchen floor covers the hole where the water and drain was for the kitchen sink. There is no tile on that side because that was the cabinet base. The stove (tiny) and icebox were next to each other on the right side wall with a window (now inset shelves) over the stove. The rest of this area (the non-tiled part) was the bedroom.
As long as the living room floor was torn up (see May posting), I thought I'd tear up some more. Unfortunately, under the dining room carpet was the old kitchen linoleum. Only the top part of each tile came off easily, so I have yet another mess to take care of getting rid of the tar paper type backing. The original kitchen, as you can see, was about 5' x 8'. The doorway to the right was the door to the outside. The doorway to the left went to the main room of the cabin which originally had a small cast iron stove at the far end. The small metal patch on the left side of the kitchen floor covers the hole where the water and drain was for the kitchen sink. There is no tile on that side because that was the cabinet base. The stove (tiny) and icebox were next to each other on the right side wall with a window (now inset shelves) over the stove. The rest of this area (the non-tiled part) was the bedroom.
When I was little I was put to bed in the bedroom, then moved to the sofa in the main room when my parents went to bed. In 1955, the current living room was built and then I got to have the old bedroom and the old main room became the master bedroom as it is now. In the kitchen ceiling above the 'hall' between the two doors was a pull down ladder to the attic which was just a crawlspace about 4' high in the middle of the peak of the roof. It was a hands-and-knees place only which ran the length of the original cabin. If we had guests, I would sleep up there in the crawlspace and the guests got my room. Sometimes a cousin or girlfriend would sleep up there with me. The mattresses (more like mats) were filled with horsehair. You could feel the stiff hairs inside the ticking material. There were old flat down pillows and the blankets were scratchy wool. There was a covered enamelware 'pot' for 'tinkling'. There was no room to walk if the ladder was down so once we were up there, we didn't come down until morning.
Ah, the good old days.

1 comment:
Oh yeah... back in my day we had to walk up hill both ways. no wait, that does sound pretty rough.
What do I get to tell Soren in 30 years?
Post a Comment