I have been thinking much of Berts recent post, along with rereading it several times. Over many years, my thoughts have often spiraled around the decision one faces in life in regards to dedicating themselves to environtmental pusuits, or humanitarian efforts that will lift peoples spirits, improve their lives and health, or emancipate them from powers that perpetuate their defenselessness. I have had times when I felt deep inner guilt for not dedicating my life to a 'cause', because I know I am someone who could accomplish good, and bring hope, or protect even one species that is without guardian. Is the only way to live a truly 'right' life to sacrifice yourself to the cure of one disease, the defense of one species, or the safety of one group of people? The sincerity of self sacrifice for something you believe in is indeed the most noble of accomplishments in life. However, as only one human, your sacrifice can benefit only one cause, being that the number of efforts are limitless and far too broad in nature to be improved by one individuals expertise. Like the monks who self immolate in the name of humanity, the peace corps volunteers who assist a handful of the impoverished, the Jane Goodalls who personally guard and protect a single species, or even a suicide bomber who sacrifices himself for his faith, it appears that dedicating your life to a single cause is the only 'true' way to use your life in attempt to improve the world. Is this really the case? I'm not so sure. I have read different philosophies, and a good bit of Buddhism, and now feel that by choosing a path for your life, dedicating yourself to a career you are good at, that you enjoy, and adding yourself as a necessary piece to the whole, you become a cog in the wheel of the giant machine that powers the system of the universe. If your ways in life are not corrupt, if you are not motivated by greed, if you spend your years treating people with kindness, and doing your best, you are automatically accomplishing a great deed by those acts alone. A few grandstand individuals cannot themselves make up a healthy world, in truth it is the many individuals, the unnoticed workers, the quiet masses who propel us towards harmony. Find what you are good at, and put your heart into it. That is what "doing something for the world" truly means. Seeking individual fame only distracts from the humble progression of the natural way of things. If you want to improve humanity, improve yourself, and it will exponentially spread to others.I always love reading what Bert writes, and others with a voice and heart like him. I only wish I could be as eloquent. While I have often thought of dropping my career, and dedicating my life to saving sea turtles, or helping diseased peasants in Cambodia, or fighting big corporations that destroy the rainforests of the world, I have come to learn that my life is as just beneficial, though maybe not as meritorious as these other callings. I improve lives, make people happy, fight for and encourage the well being and humane treatment of animals. While I only affect a small number of children, I spend an exhaustive amount of time teaching them to be compassionate and responsible, along with taking care of themselves, keeping their bodies safe and distant from dangerous habits and people, and overall having respect and pride in themselves.
I am not going to be written up in any history book for having changed the world. People will not remember me as a martyr, for I will not die in pursuit of a lofty and noble quest. However, I will not die feeling myself a failure for not having self-immolated in protest of government corruption, or dedicating myself to a cause at the expense of never having a family of my own. Instead I will die having spent my life close to those I love, and surrounded by family and friends, knowing I have treated people well, and in that alone have made a difference.
"In the end we remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
- Martin Luther King Jr.

2 comments:
What beautiful pieces - your cool art-photo and your writing.
When you're happy, Bree, you make others happy. When you ride, others can see the beauty and enjoy it. When you teach, others feel your care and concern. What is extra special is that that those things also make you feel good. Hurray for the upward spiral! And for your ability to embrace it!
Hugs and love,
Mom
'I only wish I could be as eloquent.'
You are not lacking in eloquence.
~Blake
Post a Comment