So I watch a lot of motorcycle racing. I have noticed something that doesn't matter to any of you. American riders usually start in the dirt, European and Japanese riders usually ride on pavement from the beginning. The American riders that get to the top level of competition usually have a few years in motocross, enduro and most importantly flat tracking. Motorcycle racetracks have huge runoff areas designed to slow the riders down before they hit the walls. These runoffs are usually a deep, soft gravel that isn't too much unlike kitty litter. When will I ever get to the point? The American riders seem to fall off much less often when they find themselves in the gravel. They seem to still think they can controll their bike at 120mph through the gravel so they stay on the throttle. When this doesn't work, they have usually maintained enough momentum to actually reach the exterior wall(read: fireball). I think that its pretty rare that you see a Japanese or Euro rider hit the wall because they rarely try to salvage the crash as much as the American; they come to a stop long before(on their side).
Motorcycle racing might be the most culturally equal sport in the world. and don't give me that "what about soccer" crap. If you look at the nationality of the racers in the top ten, its almost always from at least seven different countries.

2 comments:
Perhaps I need to watch more of those videos to understand your post. Are you saying that US riders self destruct on the wall more than other nationalities? If that's the case, a 'culturally equal sport' seems a bit of a misnomer. And, you're right, fuggedabowd soccer!
I am saying that the American riders don't give up and ditch their bikes when they hit the gravel, they try and ride it out.
On an unrelated note, the culturally equal thing is that each nation has as good of a chance of winning as any other. They are on the most even playing field of any sport.
Post a Comment