I think that it is critical that we make jokes about bombs in airports. Often times you hear people say things like "that isn't funny" or "you shouldn't joke about those kinds of things". I think that the more important a subject is, the more crucial it is that we joke about it. This goes for every topic that is important. The places where we can be cut the deepest is where humor is most critical and valuable.
Plus if you have a security guard who can't tell if something is a joke, then by definition, they can't accurately assess a threat.

1 comment:
I agree with you, Bert, about the need for humor about what's important... but, anthropologically speaking, things are funnier in reverse perspective - UNLESS you are the person telling the joke. It is most difficult to laugh at a joke about something that you are currently experiencing - unless you're the one telling the joke, at which point the joke can serve a noble purpose. The true value of humor is in its telling and sharing. Some say humor is a unique trait of being human.
Then again, those of us who knew Snigglefritz, the cat, know different.
This entire post hasn't generated a laugh, so forget it! I'm too damn serious!
xo,M
Post a Comment