Its a little after noon, I pull on my shirt and collect up my rifle. Well, not my rifle, I have been carrying this one for a few weeks but I don't really feel like its mine. I quit flying and changed companies so I've had to trade the pistol for the good ol' long rifle. My rifle from Afghanistan felt like mine. I could spot it from a hundred others. I haven't even shot this new rifle.
Anyway, my knockoff RayBans were the last thing on the counter to grab. I slip them on and push open the door. Its startlingly bright, even through all the dust. The heat hits next. Slaps you in the face. It feels like you are in front of the worlds largest hair dryer. I glare at the thermometer with a little bit of disgust. 107? You're kidding right?
The dust is pretty thick today. Sometimes the dust has its good sides. I stand outside on the plank walkway for a moment to get my iPod going. Stickly forbidden of course but who is even going to see me through all this dust?
The soup kitchen isn't a long walk but long enough. The 'cooks' have put up a sign over the door with flames styled like a barbeque joint might have. They must have a sense of humor. They don't cook anything here, the food is served out of plastic bins. Speaking of not-quite-edible, today they are dishing out Yakisoba. Another reminder that Korea is ingrained in the DNA of the Army. I bet in fifty years, they will be dishing out some native Iraqi dish to some poor slobs in a country that doesn't even exist yet.
The dust gives the Yakisoba some needed flavor. Not in the same way that salt would but more in the way that sandpaper would. Every bite of the overcooked spaghetti noodles abrades your enamel and irritates your throat. You can tell when its going to be a dusty day because of the blurry orange light and your bloodshot eyes when you are first cursing your alarm clock thinking "Shit, I haven't been awake long enough to have my corneas scoured with a wire brush."
A few friends invite me to their table in the soup kitchen but they are all too tired to have anything much to say. We choke down our noodles in silence before the ambitious sergeant reminds us of how lazy we are for taking this long. He blabbles something about soldiers these days and how much tougher something something blah blah something the door closes behind him. Whatever homie, whatever.
I put my headphones back in and turn the volume up. I think I can turn the volume up higher than the thermometer. We'll see about July when that comes around.

2 comments:
...and I heard from a reliable source that this dust season lasts 6 months.
What can we do to distract you? help you get through the next months? make you more comfortable?
xo, Mom
The new Star Trek movie is out. NPR Science Friday dudes say that 'beaming up' isn't possible but most of the other stuff in the movie is.
Damn, I was hoping we could 'beam you home' soon.
listen to music honey, but don't go deft doing it. you still have us to listen to when you get home! i love you and your ears/what little bit of hearing you have left too!
Post a Comment