It isn't even June and I am already complaining about the heat. Maybe if I didn't have to wear long sleeve shirts, wool socks, and gor-tex insulated boots it wouldn't be so bad.
Did you ever notice when it it well over 100 your breath feels cool on your lips.
Your lungs have much more surface area then your skin and provide most of the heat transfer between you and your environment.
We have pallets of water stacked everywhere so we don't dehydrate. If you take a liter of water and start pouring it out as you walk, the first bit will have evaporated before the bottle is empty.
I actually cooked an egg on a rooftop once. True story.
You have to wear gloves to work on a Blackhawk in the summer because the aluminum skin can burn you very quickly.
On a day when I work outside, I will drink over two gallons of water. For every mile I walk, I typically pour about a pint over myself and in my hat to stay cool.
The thermometers on our aircraft go to 50C, thats over 120F. They top out all the time; right now for example.
Many specifications for our equipment have duty cycle ratings for operating temperatures, a countless number of these specs don't go as high as they need to.
Because American contractors aren't very clever, we keep our plumbing water in above ground tanks that are heated by the sun. When you turn on the "cold" water, its as scalding hot as any water heater. There is no such thing as a cold shower here until winter.

1 comment:
Look upon the heat merely as preparation for living in FL. It's like training.
Post a Comment