‎63 Years of Memories....

‎63 Years of Memories....
that's what I have now. The photo below shows the chair on the point which for so many years was my father's favorite after-supper place to contemplate and cast for walleye. As much as I feel guilty about what's happened, I know he would understand and even say there's nothing to forgive. He lived life fully and moved on many times. I'm the one with the unique experience of being attached to a beautiful place for my whole life. And despite all my best efforts, yesterday the 'cabin' was sold. I signed the papers and, truth be told, a weight was lifted. A new life lies ahead without the obligations, but with all of the wonderful memories. My unrelentingly positive attitude says this is truly how it is, but my heart is still sad.

There are some things in life for which the balance between the obligation and the joy of ownership often cannot be sustained forever. It became clear that I was no longer up to the task of taking care of the place quite a while back. However, knowing what needs to be done and doing it are often far apart. Finally, no choice was left. It had to be sold.

Now it's gone. No more worrying about how long the grass or how deep the snow is up there. No more sublimely pleasurable early morning cups of coffee sitting on the dock when the color of the lake is like pale blue glass and the air is completely still. No more endless repairs, high taxes, and utility bills. No more late nights around the fire pit with friends and family - warm from both fire and friendship. No more frozen pipes or emergency calls to the furnace guys. No more saunas and midnight skinny dipping that make you feel like you'll live forever while your connection with nature is confirmed by the gazillion stars of the milky way and the loons calling out in the dark. No more concerns with low well water levels or water so hard and full of iron the clothes turn yellow and your newly washed hair feels like brillo. No more finding the way home by boat in the dark after a long day on the lake feeling like this is the only place you really, really belong. No more praying that the boathouse will make it another year without collapsing. And ultimately, no more making new memories with friends, family and loved ones. No new memories, that is, at Half Bay, Lake Vermilion, Tower, MN. New life... here we come!

How do you thank a place for memories?

Sunday, April 02, 2006

zee update

Hello Famillius,

I wanted to make a correction to Mom's recent post, I did not win the Grand Prix, I did not compete in the Grand Prix, I won the 1.35 Meter Open class, sorry about the misunderstanding. I am however, really excited and happy with the win, since Redmond hasn't competed at that height successfully in America with any other rider, and he did it with ease for me. The competition was severe, having about 45 of the top Grand Prix riders in the country in the class, 10 or so of them having competed in at least 1 Olympic Games. The horse jumped phenomenally, a good 1 to 2 feet over every jump, with confidence and style that made everyone stop and watch. I got many nods as I walked out of the ring patting him, and as I took him back to the barns, Debbie Stephens (former United States Equestrian Team rider) ran after me saying "Miss! Miss! Can I talk to you about your horse? My name is Debbie Stephens, blah blah" I was thinking to myself "of course you are, I've been wathcing you on TV since I was 10. I told her to talk to Keren, who was ear to ear grinning with the round I just had, and they followed me and Redmond to the barn. I listened to Keren tell Debbie that this is no ordinary horse, he only went that well because he likes and respects me, and that I am the first person who has ever given him the perfect ride. She explained to her how difficult he is, how sensitive, and how hard to stay on over the jumps he can be, and after all the "warnings", Debbie still wanted to try him. Debbie stands about 5 foot nothing, and got on him the next day in the schooling arena, I could tell Redmond was worried that it was someone he didn't know, and his ears flicked back and forth like radar. Over the first 3 jumps, she could barely hang on, and at the fourth, he lauched her so hard, she landed on his neck. Needless to say, it was not a good match. He was really nervous, and she couldn't ride him, although she would never admit that, it was just because he was "quirky" as she said :) I said, "Yes, he is quite the individual". It was cool for me to see that the horse went so smoothly for me in the ring, yet she couldn't ride him over a plain warm-up jump. Made me feel pretty good. The next day he jumped even higher, and better for me in the ring, which caused us to have some time faults, because we spend so much damn time in the air, so we ended up fourth. He really is not a "speed" horse, he is much more suited to the Big ring, as he is a "power" or "scope" jumper. He outjumped every horse in the class by a mile, so we have decided to take him to Ocala next week, and move him up to the 1.40-1.45 meter (which is about 3 inches lower than the Grand Prix). I will let you all know how it goes. Keren video taped us in Tampa, I will try to get her to make some DVD copies, and send them to you guys, and to Bert. Also, she is going to post some pics of us on her website, so you can check them out at: mgsporthorses.net.
By the way, Bert, did you get my package? Anyways, I judged a horse show all day today, super boring, and am being asked to judge many more now, and also was asked to conduct a fairly large clinic in Tallahasse in the fall. I have a new Grand Prix prospect that Sergio sent me to ride, his name is Monkey Du Parc. Also got a new client that saw me ride Redmond at the show. They are moving in as soon as we get to the new farm.
Just one minor note to the gravity debate, while it may or may not effect the stock market, the Ups and Downs of Gravity SURELY effect my business, literally (though Redmond seems to defy the force of gravity more often then not!!
A little more than a week till I leave for Columbia, any requests while I'm there? Bert, could you use some of the best coffee in the world? Let me know..

PS: and hey - at least my house has vinyl siding, instead of dust cloths - Thanks a lot guys!!

Lots of love and big jumps!! - Bree

1 comment:

Bert said...

I am so glad to hear that you are doing good with Keren and Redmo.

I work with a guy who owns a couple of horses. I showed everyone the photos you send and they all said the same thing,"wow thats a huge horse!".

Everyone would like if you posted more photos. Take some of the horse show grounds and your barn and new house as well.

Later party people...
-The mad poster