‎63 Years of Memories....

‎63 Years of Memories....
that's what I have now. The photo below shows the chair on the point which for so many years was my father's favorite after-supper place to contemplate and cast for walleye. As much as I feel guilty about what's happened, I know he would understand and even say there's nothing to forgive. He lived life fully and moved on many times. I'm the one with the unique experience of being attached to a beautiful place for my whole life. And despite all my best efforts, yesterday the 'cabin' was sold. I signed the papers and, truth be told, a weight was lifted. A new life lies ahead without the obligations, but with all of the wonderful memories. My unrelentingly positive attitude says this is truly how it is, but my heart is still sad.

There are some things in life for which the balance between the obligation and the joy of ownership often cannot be sustained forever. It became clear that I was no longer up to the task of taking care of the place quite a while back. However, knowing what needs to be done and doing it are often far apart. Finally, no choice was left. It had to be sold.

Now it's gone. No more worrying about how long the grass or how deep the snow is up there. No more sublimely pleasurable early morning cups of coffee sitting on the dock when the color of the lake is like pale blue glass and the air is completely still. No more endless repairs, high taxes, and utility bills. No more late nights around the fire pit with friends and family - warm from both fire and friendship. No more frozen pipes or emergency calls to the furnace guys. No more saunas and midnight skinny dipping that make you feel like you'll live forever while your connection with nature is confirmed by the gazillion stars of the milky way and the loons calling out in the dark. No more concerns with low well water levels or water so hard and full of iron the clothes turn yellow and your newly washed hair feels like brillo. No more finding the way home by boat in the dark after a long day on the lake feeling like this is the only place you really, really belong. No more praying that the boathouse will make it another year without collapsing. And ultimately, no more making new memories with friends, family and loved ones. No new memories, that is, at Half Bay, Lake Vermilion, Tower, MN. New life... here we come!

How do you thank a place for memories?

Friday, March 31, 2006

Gravity sucks!
(Just ask any woman over 50!) And it does change from place to place - but we won't go there...

I'd like to tell you my recollections of the 'gravity cabin'. There was a guy who had a cabin on Birch Point (who by the way moved as many rocks as Morfar but put them all in orderly rows with cement to make neat little walls and flower beds all over his property). He said that while he worked on his property he discovered that a small area had a gravity anomaly. He noticed that things were different when he was in this area of about a 8-10' square. So he built a little house over the spot to demonstrate visually how 'off' this spot was. The 'cabin' Bert's uncle is remembering and the Dad remembers being in was that little building which was really just one room without glass in the windows, no plumbing, etc. Kinda like a playhouse. Anyway, when you stepped inside the building you felt like you were standing at an impossible angle. Kind of like if you took a "V" and you stood parallel to one of its sides. It seemed like it was impossible when you were inside this 'cabin'. Your ankles were at a steep angle and you felt like you would fall over but you didn't. The curtains hung like you were standing, something hanging from a string (or maybe it was a lightbulb on a wire) hung at the same angle you were standing, but you and all those things were at a severe angle to the walls and floor. The house was straight to the outside world when you looked out the window. A ball bearing ran up a ramp instead of down it , although the ramp looked to be straight to the horizon which you could see out the window. There were several other things inside to show the gravitational anomaly.
Now, everyone - including highly skeptical avuncular persons - were taken with the effects. So much so that much research into this subject was done afterwards. There was even talk about the investigative reporter writing an article about it. Here's where my reminescinces fade - I don't remember what the conclusions were. But I do know that the experience was quite real and quite memorable. I do believe that each person that went there had their own rationale to dismiss the phenomenon OR to believe and tout the reality of it. Some people said it was a circus-side-show-trick. Some firmly believe that the spot had a gravitational anomaly.
The owner of the property said that many people had come to visit the spot including several scientific groups to research the phenomenon. Unfortunately, I don't remember more of what he said. The guy is long dead and I don't believe the next owners of the property liked the intrusion of 'visitors' so it's not a thing to do anymore. But I had been to it several times. The guy loved to have people stop by and you know how Morfar loved to drop in to visit folks.
Oh, I just remembered about the water running upward. It wasn't that it 'ran' up but that when you poured water from one glass to the other, you thought it was going to pour into one spot but it would angle off and so you had to move the receiving glass over so as not to pour it on the floor. i.e. the water poured crooked.
I also remember that the guy said that he did build the house at all different angles to accentuate the effect of the gravity anomaly. But when you look out the windows at your car or the trees, etc. you could still see that things were weird. We did all kinds of 'experiments' like keep your focus on the tree outside and watch how the water poured in relation to it. For instance, the light fixture did NOT hang parallel to the tree trunk and the water flow was not parallel to things that were straight outside.
When we're up there over Labor Day this year, we should go over to Birch Point and see if whoever lives there or the neighbors remember anything about the gravity-skewed 'cabin'. I actually think there might be a few photos of the place.

Anyway, that's what I remember. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Hugs and love,
Mom

No comments: