The weather has been really shitty. We had visibility no greater than 1/2 mile all day yesterday. The dust was really bad. It wasn't like before when it rolled in all at once, and it certainly wasn't as thick(you could see the ground at least). It did last too long though. I hate the way the dust feels in your teeth. Some people wear dustmasks all day. They don't help much because it is so fine. We had to delay alot of flights.
I have been working with a few very interesting fellows recently. Since I deal with the flights up to the point they go "wheels up", I do alot of planning but also as it gets closer to the flight time I end up doing alot of passenger and load managing. Yesterday we had almost five hundred people that needed to get on this helicopter or that one. It is up to me to manifest them, get them to the right bird at the right time safely, and make the handoff to the flight engineers. I also coordinate between the requesting liason and the forklift guys to move cargo. All of this takes place within the sixty minutes before flight. This means that I am constantly going up and down the flight line with my clipboard in hand, running under rotorblades, yelling at retarted POGs to get off the tarmack. Working outside is great now but come July I will be hurting. The requesting liasons or LNOs are really all cool guys. I will go into more detail when I get a few more minutes.
Lots of love and lots of dust
-Bert

1 comment:
Lots of dust and only one laundromat! Oh, my! :)
So it must be really windy there. Are there any turbines - other than the wrap around the head kind?
Do the helicopters have to be retrofitted to withstand the sand?
Oh, Grandma A should be going home on Wednesday! Hurray for her! She's such a trooper and has a great attitude.
We got 8" or so of new snow today and the Luce Line is noisy with 'bilers tonight.
Well, take care and know we're thinking of you. You, too, Rachel! Call me whenever!
Hugs and love,
Mom
Post a Comment