‎63 Years of Memories....

‎63 Years of Memories....
that's what I have now. The photo below shows the chair on the point which for so many years was my father's favorite after-supper place to contemplate and cast for walleye. As much as I feel guilty about what's happened, I know he would understand and even say there's nothing to forgive. He lived life fully and moved on many times. I'm the one with the unique experience of being attached to a beautiful place for my whole life. And despite all my best efforts, yesterday the 'cabin' was sold. I signed the papers and, truth be told, a weight was lifted. A new life lies ahead without the obligations, but with all of the wonderful memories. My unrelentingly positive attitude says this is truly how it is, but my heart is still sad.

There are some things in life for which the balance between the obligation and the joy of ownership often cannot be sustained forever. It became clear that I was no longer up to the task of taking care of the place quite a while back. However, knowing what needs to be done and doing it are often far apart. Finally, no choice was left. It had to be sold.

Now it's gone. No more worrying about how long the grass or how deep the snow is up there. No more sublimely pleasurable early morning cups of coffee sitting on the dock when the color of the lake is like pale blue glass and the air is completely still. No more endless repairs, high taxes, and utility bills. No more late nights around the fire pit with friends and family - warm from both fire and friendship. No more frozen pipes or emergency calls to the furnace guys. No more saunas and midnight skinny dipping that make you feel like you'll live forever while your connection with nature is confirmed by the gazillion stars of the milky way and the loons calling out in the dark. No more concerns with low well water levels or water so hard and full of iron the clothes turn yellow and your newly washed hair feels like brillo. No more finding the way home by boat in the dark after a long day on the lake feeling like this is the only place you really, really belong. No more praying that the boathouse will make it another year without collapsing. And ultimately, no more making new memories with friends, family and loved ones. No new memories, that is, at Half Bay, Lake Vermilion, Tower, MN. New life... here we come!

How do you thank a place for memories?

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Wampeters, Foma, & Granfalloons

Hi fellow bloggers! If someone could tell me how to do the photo thing, that would be cool, I know I am always the last one to figure out the technolgy stuff, but fortunately you love me anyways.
I am driving 3 days a week now to Keren's (she's from Israel, I guess they don't spell it with an "a" there) barn in Orlando, and I am enjoying the dual-wheeled Queen Mary less each time, and I think she is starting to feel the same about me. Besides, diesel is now 60 cents more a gallon than gas, Bert, could you guys hurry up and secure our oil supplies over there so I can drive my beast more economically for chrissakes?!
We are no longer going to Atlanta, but instead doing two weeks at Tampa starting next week (thank god no hotels for a little while, though I shouldn't complain because it sounds much better than living in a POD like Bert :) , and then its back to Ocala april 7-9, which is now the new date for my first Grand Prix with Redmond. We are getting along great, by the way, he likes my style, and I respect him for that. I haven't gotten jumped off yet, and everyone is very impressed. The week after the Grand Prix debut, I am going back to Columbia to visit Alejo (yay, Rachel knows what I'm talking about!) I will spend almost a week there, and I am happy to get some time away from the business, though I will still be around horses. The bastards even follow me on vacation! Then I will probably be going back for a long weekend in May, I was invited to ride in an international competition in Bogota, and I can't really turn that down. Don't worry, everyone, I will keep the Cartel at bay, hehe.
The plans are being made for me to go to Europe in June or July, probably Holland and Germany. It will be a two week trip, which will be cool, in more ways than one (escaping sunny FLA in july, YES!!). Also, Sergio is begging me to go to Brazil with him in June, but I am fending him off for now.
Viki is closing on the new farm on April 1st, we are overly excited, and TnT are thinking of coming down to assist in the barnraising, though Popeye and Mamu aren't exactly Amish, it should be a jolly good time!

Bert, you rock, I love you, oh, and have you thought of utilizing the fizzy lifting juice as a dust remover? Hi Dom, Hi blake, glad you're here.

Love you guys, Bree

3 comments:

thedad said...

testing testing

Lottie Dah said...

Wow, I skip a day or two and so much happens!

Nice to hear you made it through HITS, Bree. And it sounds like you have lots of really exciting and fun travel planned. I wish I could be there to see you ride in the GP. Posting photos is really easy. When you start your posting, click on the little photo on the far right side of the toolbar (by the ABC with the checkmark icon). Then another window will come up. Choose a layout then click on browse. It will give you your computer's directory for you to pick the photo file. If you want to put another photo in as well, click "Add another image". A list of the photos you're going to be posting will appear just below that browse box. The click upload images and WAIT. It takes a while because the blog is reaching into your computer and transferring the files onto the blog computer. Remember when you are done posting and you go back to see the blog and your new post. It won't show up until you press the refresh icon (two ying yang blue arrows on the toolbar). If you really screw up and need to take something off, give Bill or myself a holler and we can edit existing posts. Otherwise, it's there for eternity.

Oh, Grandma is now back at home. I stopped to see her this morning and she's a happy camper! Doing laundry, had made her breakfast, etc. She says to say hi and asks about you both all the time.

But, hey! I'm at work and my boss is a real slave-driver :=) so I'd better get back to work. I'll post more later.

Hugs and love,
Mom

Lottie Dah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.