Up North
Well, HITS is winding down, only one more week to go. Including precircuit, I have been working for 6 weeks now without a day off. I am going faster than I ever have before. Competing, coaching, and selling, selling, selling - I am showing the horses to prospective buyers as much as 4 times per day. With 10 horses here at the show with me, I am in the saddle now for a solid 8 hours a day, and when my feet are on the ground, I am constantly going from ring to ring. This week I showed one of my young horses to 4 time British Olympian Tim Grubb. The horse went great, but was a little too green for his client, so I didn't get it sold, but I did get offered a job! It was an incredible compliment for him to ask me to come ride for him. Of course, I turned it down, since it would mean closing my business and going on the road as a nameless rider under Tim Grubb's banner. Although it would be a great experience and a hell of an education, the opportunity I have now with my new sponsors, and the independence of running my own business is a far better choice.
Thursday I went to Karen's barn in Orlando, and rode the Grand Prix horse, Redmond, again. He is the horse that was just taken out from under Olympian Todd Minikus, and handed to me. He is simply the most talented and athletic animal I have ever ridden. The only horse that ever came close to his jumping ability was Jimi. He has an explosive power at the jumps, making him very difficult not to get launched into orbit off of... he jumps a two foot X about 5' in the air, every..single..time. Imagine how he jumps the big jumps! I am going to ride him again tomorrow, and pick him up and bring him back to HITS for the last week. He is too big to fit in the normal slots in my trailer, so I had to remove the partitions, and he doesn't fit in a tent stall at the show, so we removed a partition there as well, so he has a double stall. I don't know if you guys remember how big Jimi was, but Redmond makes him look like a pipsqueak. I guess the one good thing about that is, 5' jumps look a lot smaller from his back, I can actually see over them! I don't know if I am going to show him much, mostly just spend some time getting to know him, and maybe do him in some 4' schooling classes. We are going to see if I can get ready to do him in Atlanta, in the Olympic ring in three weeks.
My friend Lisa O'neil, from New York, discovered some lumps in her throat last month, as she was watching her father die of cancer in the hospital. After he passed, she arranged the funeral, and was having a hard time swallowing, so she went to the doctor where they diagnosed her with throat cancer. She went through surgery, and they saved her vocal cords, and she is now in chemo. She is going to close her business/farm in New York and wants to move to Florida. I offered her to join forces with me at my new farm, to teach lessons that I cannot manage, and teach while I am away showing. She was thrilled with the idea, and although she is way overqualified to teach beginner lessons, she no longer wants to be on the road, but would rather stay home, manage the farm, teach, and be an invaluable eye on the ground for me when I am there. She will continue buying and importing horses from Europe, but now I will ride them, since she no longer feels she can. So, I will be doing much more riding and showing, and less bullshit, which is exactly what I need to do. I am really excited about this because I can trust her, I respect her, and we get along incredibly well. We have the same approach to training, and she raves about my riding, she says she would be honored to be MY assistant trainer, can you believe it?!?!
Well, I better get some sleep, I have two days to accomplish in one tomorrow, and have to be at the show at 5:30 am.
Bert, I love reading every detail you write, it makes me feel like you are still here with me. I have one question, do people talk at all about how they feel about why you are there, I mean, for what true reason? Or is that something that isn't really spoken about, you just go about your duties, doing the best job you can? just wondering. Please don't feel bad about venting to us, I think I speak for everyone in saying any weight you can lay on us by expressing your frustrations, angsts, fears, stresses, etc., is wholeheartedly welcomed, listening to your "steam" is the least we can do. I wish there was a way to take more weight off your shoulders. I admire you, and your chilly ability to cope with this inferno of responsibility and stress, with such calmness and ease. Don't let any of these assholes change that about you. I love you, and am thinking about you every day!

No comments:
Post a Comment